I constantly hear the following:
Aren’t hostels dirty? (Not these days…)
Hostels are just full of drunk teenagers (Maybe you’re in the wrong hostel)
I’m too old to stay in a hostel
Are mixed dorms safe? (Here’s the answer)
There are so many myths that surround hostels in Kenya, so I thought it was time to set the record straight and share with you the things that makes hostel life great!
- You will make friends for life!
- Some of your new friends will be international… so you will always have a couch to sleep on!
- Falling in love happens a lot
- …and more often than not your heart will get broken when you or they move on to the next country
- Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye…! Saying goodbye to new friends on a daily basis becomes normal
- Hello, hello, hello…! Making new friends daily in a space of a few hours also becomes normal
- Sightseeing all day on 4 hours sleep becomes an essential skill
- You will hear the same five questions from every person you meet.
- You will ask everyone you meet those same five questions
- You will forget everyone’s answers to these questions
- But you will remember exactly what those people did after too many shots of booze last night
- You will meet at least one creeper
- But you will love the staff! 😉
- …and you will want to be part of their little hostel family
- There will be one member of staff who will have slept with 75% of the guests
- You’re probably going to want to work and live in at least one hostel
- You will hear people having sex
- Someone will probably hear you having sex
- Everyone at breakfast will know you’ve had sex
- The Wifi will be shit
- As will the showers
- As will all those people you meet who think they can play guitar
- You will meet someone you hate more than you’ve ever hated someone before
- Free breakfast…hallelujah!
- Stained sheets. It happens
- Clothes, everywhere
- Getting lost trying to find your hostel is a right of passage
- You will see the most impressive use of small spaces… 8 beds in a toilet-sized room… no problem!
- You will learn an endless number of drinking games
- You may cry when you leave
Can you think of anything I’ve missed out?? Let me know in the comments!